Pieces of Heaven

Monday, August 22, 2011

Sacred Hours Revisited

In the past two weeks I've had plenty of time to reflect on my reasons for naming this blog "Sacred Hours."

David has been waking several times a night for feedings- and sometimes just to be held. As always, the first night back from the hospital was the most difficult. He was waking up every half hour, and my husband had to go to the academy early the next morning, so I was getting up with him on my own. I sent Fred to another room so he could get some sleep and eventually enlisted my mother's help, which seemed to work out well.

Now, David is only getting up three to four times a night- and I'm finding that (besides the sleep deprivation) it is such a joy to be up and feeding him- to be able to hold him close and make eye contact during the feedings- and to have silence. It's nice that no one else is awake- and then rubbing his back to lull him back to sleep is priceless.

Joseph is having a difficult time adjusting to being the big brother and is doing everything he can to get attention. This covers the spectrum of being sweet and good (helping me change David's diaper, bringing him a bottle and giving us kisses) to downright mischievous (climbing to the top of the sofa and catapulting himself down, chasing the dog and taking the keys off of his aunt's open computer.) I feel so bad for him because he's too young to understand what's going on- and I'm trying to give him as much "special time" as possible.

Charlie (the infamous cat) is driving me crazy. I could probably write a novel about all of his escapades for the past few weeks. I should start a blogging series just about him!

My husband's academy is just about over, for which I am very grateful! He graduates on Thursday and I am SO proud of him. He left this morning at 5:30 for the week, and I'm always sad when he has to go. I was happy to be up this morning to see him in uniform (what can I say...I'm a sucker for a handsome man- i.e. my husband- in uniform!) and to be able to give him a kiss goodbye.

With his absence, I've come to realize how much of a "pillar" a husband and father is to his family, and while I can "hold down the fort" and be the best mother that I can, there is no substitute for him- and it makes me miss and appreciate him even more.

I feel so blessed to have wonderful "men" in my life- my husband and my two boys- who make me feel like everything we're going through is worth it.

Tasks to do while my husband is away:

Research apartments and townhouses
Pray for special intentions
Open David's savings account
Take DH's extra uniforms to the seamstress
Clean
Get David to the doctor to have his weight monitored (my little guy is a peanut!)
Pay bills
NOT think about work
Secure a new baby carrier that will be small enough for the little guy
Secure a new stroller (my Dad ran over ours when he was trying to back the car up into the garage...yikes!)

No comments:

Post a Comment